Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mr. Abujaber, Kim / CEO, Fuad Abujaber & Sons Group



Company Profile:
Fuad Abujaber & Sons Group encompasses Mining Industries, Specialized Contracting, Insurance, Trade, Steel Manufacturing, Agriculture, Packaging and Distribution, Real Estate and Investments through major ownership in 11 public and private shareholding companies based in Jordan. The group employs over 500 personnel on a full-time basis and it’s activities are spread throughout Jordan. The various group companies operate locally, regionally and internationally by supplying manufactured products and services that range from exotic vegetables to steel, silica, natural stone, plastics, silica sand, decorative beverages, stone and services among others.
Owners: Fuad S. Abujaber Chairman; Kim F. Abujaber (CEO); Kais F. Abujaber (COO)
Company Info
Fuad Abujaber & Sons Group consists of the following companies:
Equipment Sales & Service LLC; Farradj & Co LLC; Sa’d Abujaber & Sons LLC; Al Badiyah Engineering LLC; Solid Iron & Steel manufacturing & Forming PSC; Developed Agricultural Marketing LLC; Arab Equipment Trading LLC. (AETCO; PETCO Technical Packaging LLC.; (SLCA) International Silica Industries PLC; (TRAV) The Travertine Company PLC; (JIIC) Jordan International Insurance Company PLC

How did you start your business?
I started working in the family drilling business during my college vacations from 1977 till 1980. When I returned to Jordan, I knew it was going to be my full-time occupation, but I never expected it to grow to encompass such a diversity of businesses and interests within the span of 30 years. I must say it has been an interesting and a pleasurable endeavor.

When you first started your business, were you expecting that it would become not only your full-time occupation, but also a growing company?
As previously mentioned, when I began my involvement in the family business over three decades ago, I knew it would become my full-time occupation. However, I did not expect it to become so diversified. Over the span of three decades, the business transformed from specialized contracting and trade to incorporate mining and steel industry, plastics, agriculture production, packaging and export, and insurance. I did not expect it to cover service industry, investments and trade which it does now. I think growth is essential but needs to be well studied and can not be expected to provide an immediate return.

What is the most rewarding thing you have accomplished and why do you cite it above all your other accomplishments?
The most rewarding aspect relative to what I have accomplished is the constant learning and knowledge gained in the various fields I am involved in. It began with specialized contracting and moved onto trade, insurance, mining, steel, agricultural industry, date palm farming and specialized product export, real estate and banking. It was quite an array of businesses that covers the service, industrial, insurance and financial sectors. What amazed me the most were the wide array of opportunities that arose. We studied them thoroughly and chose what we felt would work best for us as a growing family business.
The most rewarding aspect of my experience is still, after 30 years, having the pleasure of working with and learning from my father Fuad Abujaber, who is 82 years old and comes to work on a daily basis. Moreover, being able to have my brother Kais as a proactive partner in our family business is a privilege. Other than that, I love to watch things grow, whether be it trees, vegetables, sales, industrial expansions etc. In my opinion, success is the ultimate reward.

What were the biggest challenges you faced as an entrepreneur and how did you overcome them?
What I have found most challenging were people’s diverse aspects; for instance, convincing my partners and staff to challenge my way of thinking and to improve it. Meanwhile, they should be patient with new businesses and their span of growth and returns. I look at new ventures with a long term vision.

What do you think it takes to be successful in the industry your company competes in?
Leadership, excellence, teamwork, strong belief in your offered product whether it is a service or manufactured or traded products, cost effectiveness, aesthetics, quality and professionalism are all essential ingredients needed for the success of our businesses.

What advice would you give to those contemplating starting their own business?
My advice to new business owners would be diligence, honesty, total conviction in your business. Furthermore, I urge the use of superior professional services when needed, think outside the box; accept open criticism on your ideas, utilize them effectively, and finally have the willingness to persevere and learn. It is a tough environment out there.

What is the question I did not ask, but should have?
I wish you had asked me if I were happy. The answer would have been certainly yes. I love to achieve, succeed and take on new ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment